Let the kids be gay!

So, my dears…
Now that you all know of my devotion to the CBC, I will let you in on a little secret. Sometimes, when my a.m. takes a turn for the lazy, I enjoy watching the children’s programming and re-educating myself on the fundamentals of reciting the alphabet and counting to ten. I find it especially comforting to watch these little shows, since so many of them center around reinforcing positive social behavior- sharing, caring, general politeness… we could all do with a reminder about these topics from time to time. I especially like Nanalan’, which features the most charming puppets (also I know one of it’s creators, a lovely young man named Jamie). And it’s nice that the kids today still get to grow up with Mr Dressup, may he rest in piece. The one show that fascinates me above and beyond all the others is the Doodlebops.
Oh, Doodlebops, what can be said about you? Well, this is what the CBC has to say:
“The Doodlebops is a musical comedy show for children starring Deedee, Rooney and Moe Doodle - three talented rock stars who are always on the lookout for a good time. They are the ultimate rock and roll band! Join The Doodlebops as they hang out and practice their song and dance routines in the coolest rehearsal space imaginable. When The Doodlebops aren't rehearsing, they're zooming off in their tour bus to perform for kids everywhere!”
They’re all odd colours, with cartoonish four-fingered hands, wacky wigs and absurd costumes. There’s even a keytar involved, for crying out loud. Fine by me- kids shows are supposed to be on the fantastical side of things. At least we’re no longer subjecting the young ‘uns to Slim Goodbody. Now, there’s creepy for you. Insides on the outside! (Perhaps he’s the reason why I now have such a thing for t.v. shows that involve autopsies… but I’m getting away from my point.) The actors on the Doodlebops are all highly energetic, almost un peu trop for my taste, and can all actually sing, especially the pink girl of the bunch. The one thing that seems a tad off is just how very very gay the blue character Rooney is. Not that I think it’s in any way bad for a kids show to feature a flamboyantly effeminate character- I do have a photo of PeeWee Herman in my wallet after all. Maybe it’s because he’s blue it makes the gay-thing that much more noteable. He’s like a big ol’ homo Krishna-Smurf creature with a pronounced lisp and butt-hugging overalls. Whatever…
And, don’t go thinking that it’s just my assumption of sexuality based on stereotypes. For a straight gal, I got some pretty fine-tuned gaydar. This is what the Wikipedia has to say about the actor behind the big foam wig: “Chad McNamara, who plays Rooney Doodle, guest starred in Queer as Folk. He is very popular in the gay community.”
Fight the power, Chad! Let all the Children of our great nation know that it’s ok to be a big blue gay song-and-dance man! Familiarity shall lead to tolerance… get ‘em while their young! Hooray for gay!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home